[thelist] FYI: netscape 6 table bug redux

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 10 09:57:01 CST 2003

>Although I can't imagine I'm the first to butt his head against it, I
>couldn't find anyone mentioning this variation anywhere:
>
>In Netscape 6.2 Win 2K and OS X (but not 6.01 or 7.02, the others I've
>checked it in) the following happens:
>
>If you have multiple rows in a nested table, table cells near the end will
>not display their styles as defined in their class attribute _if_ the table
>cell containing the nested table has a rowspan.
>
>The fix, again, is changing or removing the doctype, as described in
>James A's famous evolt article.
>
>Demonstration at:
>
>gozz.com/temporary/netscape6/bug.html

It does ring a bell, very faintly. I can't remember if this was a Netscape 6
or an Explorer 5 error. Anyway, it seems to be Netscape 6.2 only, I tried
your pages in Mozilla 1.2, Netscape 6.1 and Mozilla 1.1 and didn't find any
problems.

Thanks for the tip. I added it to my browser pages.

ppk, freelance web developer
Interaction, copywriting, JavaScript, integration
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/
Column "Keep it Simple": http://www.digital-web.com/columns/keepitsimple/
W3C DOM Compatibility Table, expanded & updated
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/js/index.html?version5.html