[thelist] ntfs and metadata

David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil David.Cantrell at Gunter.AF.mil
Mon Mar 10 13:42:00 CST 2003

> ISS indexing works on file metadata, such as that stored in a
> word doc, author, keywords, etc so i can search on this. The
> only thing is many people to not populate this info in their
> word docs so what i wanted to do was to allow them to enter
> this info into the web interface and then for the ASP backend
> to write this metadata information into the file.
>
> Is it possible to write the metadata of a file using ASP?

I don't believe NTFS itself stores this information, rather Index Server
crawls each file and builds an index (similar to a database index) which
*does* store the metadata. All searches are against the index, which then
returns a pointer (file system path) to the matching resource(s).

By my understanding anyway, I could be wrong though.

HTH,
-dave