[thelist] IFRAMES -- what?!

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Wed Mar 12 08:13:35 CST 2003

On Wednesday, March 12, 2003, at 06:17  AM, Dan Stapleton wrote:

> 1) can anyone point me towards literature on browser
> support for inline frames

<http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/html/tagpages/i/iframe.htm>

Supported in IE 3+, NN 6+, Opera 4+

> or any pro/con discussions?

At this point, I am very "pro". I'm using it for the first time on a
site where the client wanted news items to automatically scroll across
the screen; I don't think that's appropriate for their intended
audience, so tried iframe as a compromise (haven't heard back ...)  ...
and now that I've read and thought about iframes for a while, I don't
think I'll hesitate at all to use them in the future. They're pretty
groovy.

If you want to let your iframe out in the wild where any old browser
can see it, you can get the content to show up in NN 4- (and anything
else you might care about) by doing this:

<iframe src="iframe.html"> content for NN 4 and other browsers that
don't support iframe.</iframe>

> http://me.breathehard.com/music.html
>
> there aren't any scrollbars for the frame! what's
> going on?

For me, IE 5.2 OS X, there are initially no scrollbars, but both
vertical and horizontal scrollbars appear after I resize the window.

I downloaded your source and changed scrolling="yes" ("always show both
vertical and horizontal scrollbars") to scrolling="auto" ("web browser,
it's up to you!") and it appears as I believe you intend.
Erik Mattheis
GoZz Digital
<http://goZz.com/>
Flash and ColdFusion Development