[thelist] ASP and GetObject....

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Wed Mar 12 11:14:10 CST 2003

At 06:14 PM 3/11/2003, Ken Schaefer wrote:
>I would strongly suspect that it is a permissions issue. The IISAdmin pages
>that also manipulate the metabase do not allow anonymous access - instead
>you need to authenticate using local administrator credentials (under which
>context those pages are run).

Here's the answer:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3ben-us%3b285286

CAUSE
For security reasons, access to the metabase (and subsequently the IIS
Admin Objects) is restricted to members of the local Administrators group.

WORKAROUND
Use an authentication technique such as basic, digest, Windows, or
certificate mapping, and make sure that the account in question has access
to the metabase (that is, the account is a member of the local
Administrators group).

Under no circumstances should you add any user account to the local
Administrator's group in an attempt to work around this issue. Doing so
leads to major security vulnerabilities.

---
Anthony Baratta
President
Keyboard Jockeys