[thelist] MFC42.dll ... Is this safe?

Rob Smith rob.smith at THERMON.com
Thu Mar 13 10:39:13 CST 2003

Hi list,

(deep breath...)

I've got two web servers in operation, one production, one test. Two pages
in particular reside on both servers with identical code. Each page
references the same SQL Server and draws out the same results. However, my
test server is having  a problem. Its returning have of the information in
each cell ("255 char truncation problem").

I've traced the problem down to the actual ODBC SQL Server driver (.dll) The
production server has a newer version (2000.80.380.00) The test server has
an older version (3.50.0305).

So I retrieve the file from Microsoft that is supposed to update this dll
(DriverConf.exe release date November 2001). When I run it, I get an error,
"The ordinal 6625 could not be located in the dynamic link library
MFC42.DLL."

The test server's version of this dll is 4.21.7160. The production server's
version is 6.00.8447.0. Now I've tracked this piece of information on
TechNet as a similar solution:
3. To replace MFC42.dll, first you must close all programs or services that
  might be using MFC42.DLL (this includes Visual Studio).

4. Rename MFC42.dll to TempMFC42.dll.

5. Use find to locate MFC42.dll on either Visual Studio 97 or Visual Studio
97
  Service Pack 3 CD.

6. Copy MFC42.dll to the <SystemRoot>\SYSTEM32 folder under Windows NT
  (<SystemRoot>\SYSTEM folder for windows).

7. Start Visual Studio 97, and test the results.

8. Delete the temporary copy, tempMFC42.dll.

Is this safe?

Rob.Smith

(Sheesh! all this because I'm getting a truncation problem)