[thelist] character encoding tip

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane at xtrinsic.com
Thu Mar 13 11:47:10 CST 2003

Not sure if this is already in the tips, but I thought I'd send it again
for good measure.

<tip author="emmajane" topic="character encoding">
Make sure your encoded characters match the encoding your pages are using.
A character that looks like this in your code: &#8217; is a UTF-8
character. However, many pages still use the ISO-8859-1 encoding. Although
browsers might display the character the way you intended it's not right
to mix and match.

The HTML entity for the curly apostrophe is: &rsquo; that's: right single
quote. You can also have &ldquo; "left side double quote" and &rdquo;
"right side double quote" if you want curly quotes around your words.

A comparison chart of HTML entities, ISO-8859-1 encodings and UTF-8
encodings can be found at:
http://www.woram.com/tests/MISC-01.HTM
</tip>

--