[thelist] Macromedia site update

Anthony Baker lists at thinkbigideas.com
Thu Mar 13 18:04:46 CST 2003

Have to hand it to Macromedia -- the way they got feedback,
and how they've implemented changes based on it and presented
the feedback is pretty damn impressive.

I also admire the fact that they did it publicly, taking
knocks where they deserved them without wincing.

Here's something particularly interesting to note for all
of us:

------

First we learned (again) that it's the experience (stupid).
You can't learn that lesson enough.

We have talked a lot in the last year or so about the
importance of Rich Internet Applications, about how they
blend together content, communications and applications to
create experiences that enable people to quickly and
effectively complete tasks. Our first key lesson from Beta-1
is that there is a distinct difference in how people interact
with content compared with an application. With Rich Internet
Applications, people expect to-and are willing to-invest a
little extra time in loading because they know that the end
result will be quicker.

This isn't the case for basic content and is the reason why
HTML and Dreamweaver is so important to us. On our home page,
people want quick content, to get to other content and
applications as fast as possible, and to find products and data
as quick as they can. That is why we have a hybrid site-your
experience on the exchange is a Rich Internet Application,
your experience on our product page is a list of links. Both
make sense for what they are meant to accomplish.

Content and applications should coexist. The most successful
sites will walk the delicate balance of using Macromedia Flash
and HTML together to create engaging, effective experiences.
We will continue to share with you our findings on what makes
the best blend.

-----

Cheers,

Anthony

Anthony Baker | ThinkBigIdeas | Creative Design & Development
539 Ivy Street   San Francisco   California   94102-4133  USA
tel: 415.626.7697 | fax: 415.626.5297 | www.thinkbigideas.com