[thelist] character encoding tip

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane at xtrinsic.com
Fri Mar 14 07:03:12 CST 2003

On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 09:39:01AM -0000, Alan Wood wrote:
> According to the HTML 4 specification, numeric character references such as
> ’ are supposed to be independent of the charset/encoding, and so
> should work equally well with ISO-8859-1 or UTF-8.

Well my experience has been the opposite. While trying to configure a
search engine I found that UTF-8 numeric representations were not
understood by the binary files of ht://dig. They were replaced by a little
dotted square in the HTML output...

*shrug* I guess that's why they're tips. worked for me, may not work for
you. ;)

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin