[thelist] MS SharePoint Server Programming Books....

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Fri Mar 14 14:05:20 CST 2003

Any recommendations on a book that explains ASP programming with
SharePoint? About as far as I've been able to understand is:

	Set objWksp = CreateObject("CDO.KnowledgeWorkSpace")

Not much else seems to be making sense to me today. ;-P

<tip Subject="Abandoning Sessions with ASP" Author="Anthony Baratta">

Be careful how you abandon sessions. If you use the Session.Abandon, you
are basically using the scorched earth equivalent to closing things down.
This function call destroys everything and can cause the browser to server
communication to freak out if the session cookie is completely destroyed.

I've found it better to clear the specific session itself by setting it to
nothing (for objects) or Empty (for strings). Or you can iterate through
all the session objects clearing them out in a targeted manner.

e.g.

for each strKey in Session.Contents
     if not isEmpty(Session(strKey)) then
         if isObject(Session(strKey)) then
             Set Session(strKey) = Nothing
         end if
         Session(strKey) = Empty
     end if
next

This process will clear out all your created session objects, but leave the
"master" session cookie intact - keeping the browser and server
communication "open".

</tip>
---
Anthony Baratta