[thelist] Newbie SSL question

Koutoulas, Pete PKOUTOUL at Fayette.k12.ky.us
Tue Mar 18 12:49:33 CST 2003

Thank goodness thelist is back! (Er, rather thank our admins!). Now on to
business...

I am setting up a secure website, a first for me. I have obtained the
requisite certificate (from Comodo, saving thousands $ over Verisign/Thawte
thanks to recommendations from here). I have installed the certificate on
the server and enabled port 443. All seems to go well, except for the fact
that when I open a secure page on the server in IE 6.0, no "lock" icon
appears on the status bar. The page is being served through port 443
(verified by peeking at the headers) and "https" appears in the address bar
as expected. But no lock icon. I have tried this on three different machines
all running IE (don't have a copy of NN available at the moment) with the
same result. Did I miss a step? When I connect to other secure sites using
this machine, the lock does appear. Is there something I have to do on the
server or in the html of the page itself to make the lock icon show up? I
have searched all over the place but cannot find anything on this. Any help
would be much appreciated!

BTW - here is the test page if anyone wants to take a look:
https://webapps.fcps.net/secure/

___________________________________
Pete Koutoulas, Website Manager
Fayette County Public Schools
701 E. Main Street
Lexington, KY 40502
Voice (859) 381-4138
Fax (859) 381-4763
webmaster at fcps.net
www.fcps.net

This student or staff email originated from Fayette County Public Schools in
Lexington, KY.
Please report instances of abuse or inappropriate content to
postmaster at fcps.net