[thelist] ASP & dynamic page changes

Erik Bennett ebennett at ecasd.k12.wi.us
Wed Mar 19 13:39:04 CST 2003

I'm not even sure where to begin, but I'll try.

I've been handed a project that, as I look at it more and more, seems to be
both fun & interesting and quite possibly, the death of me. :-) We just
purchased a helpdesk solution with both a application interface and web
interface. The problem is, is that the web interface (which we will be using
extensively) sucks, to be blunt. And the company has told us, in no
uncertain terms, that this is as good as it'll get. Since I wasn't consulted
when they were considering it, I now have the opportunity(tongue firmly in
cheek) to improve the interface.

Here's what I want to do, but could quite possibly be very difficult. We
have multiple queues that people can enter support issues into. Each of them
has certain requirements needed. As many of you know when you're dealing
with users, (we're talking over 1100 here) as much hand holding as I can do
will benefit those of us who have to see and answer these requests. I would
like to build dynamic forms based on the selection of the queue from the
drop-down. Now since I would rather not do a complete rewrite of their web
interface (but have not completely ruled it out, lord it could use it), I'd
like to integrate my changes into their existing setup with as little
changing as possible. Unfortunately, from the way they coded it, some code
changing is inevitable.

Long story short (too late) I want to know if it's possible to dynamically
add information to a page based on a selection from a drop-down menu
__without__ refreshing the page using ASP. There are a lot (and I mean a
lot) of variables being flung back and forth, and the less refreshing that
is done, the better.

It's all coded in ASP &HTML, and in ::gag:: frames. I would definitely
prefer to keep it in ASP if possible, but would consider other alternatives
if no ASP solution works. But any "outside" solution would have to coexist
with ASP.

Hopefully this makes sense and I didn't ramble __too__ much. :-)

TIA,
Erik

      Erik Bennett
      ECASD Webmaster  Network Accounts