[thelist] CD-ROM search (possibly OT?)

Tara Cleveland tara at taracleveland.com
Wed Mar 19 13:55:25 CST 2003

Tara Cleveland wrote:
> I've a client who wants a CD-ROM created the attendees of a conference. All
> 500 papers presented at the conference will be on the CD-ROM in PDF format
> with synopses in HTML and an HTML-based interface for searching for papers.
> What I need is a way to search through all of these documents (or at least
> the synopses) off of the CD-ROM. I'd *like* it if this worked on a Macintosh
> as well as PC. If it's possible to search for specific items like title and
> author as well as a keyword search that would be a super-bonus.

Hey Everyone,

I sent this out before I realised the list went down. I've since found a
solution. In case anyone else at some point needs something similar...

<tip type="offline JavaScript search" author="Tara Cleveland">
You can find an offline (so it works from a CD-ROM) JavaScript based search
engine that works on both Mac and PC here:
http://www.marcreed.com/projects/search_indexer/tutorial/
</tip>

Regards,
Tara