[thelist] PHP + XML + Array problem

Burhan Khalid thelist at meidomus.com
Thu Mar 20 10:53:10 CST 2003

Hello List :

      New to XML (but not new to PHP), and doing my first XML + PHP
      project and ran into a snag.

      I am reading an XML file that has this format :

      <countries>
        <country name="Afghanistan">
                <state name="Afghanistan" url="AFG.xml" />
        </country>
      </countries>

      I have managed to get PHP to make an array from this file that's
      of this format (print_r() output) :

      Array
      (
           [0] => Afghanistan
           [1] => Array
               (
                  [NAME] => Afghanistan
                  [URL] => AFG.xml
               )
      }

      Now what I'm problems with is how to get the AFG.xml part if I
      have "Afghanistan" as the key. Here is my non-working code :

      while(list($key,$val) = each($arrayCountryList)) {
           if (is_array($val)) {
               while(list($country,$file) = each($val)) {
                    if ($country == "Afghanistan") {
                        $xml_CountryFile = $file;
                    }
               }
            }
      }

      Any help is much appreciated. This is a part of a xml class that
      I am writing that pulls weather information. I have a feeling
      the problem lies in the second while, but I don't know what to
      check for, or how to fix it.

      Along the same lines, can anyone tell me how to find a parent
      node of a child in XML using PHP? Currently I am having to set a
      flag for each tag, and sorting it out that way, and I'm hoping
      someone has a better solution.

      Thanks again.

--
Best regards,