[thelist] Tutorial - step-by-step Linux install to make server

Scott Harman scott at enteractiontv.com
Fri Mar 21 01:48:09 CST 2003

Personally I would go to distrowatch http://www.distrowatch.com/ and pick a
nice distro with what you need.

effectively you can look into it, and pick out which builds you think would
be appropriate.
I'm currently running mandy 9 - I've found it to be far more reliable for a
web development box than red hat -
If you are keen on red hat (great gui) then stay well away for 8, unless you
want to compile in apache 1.3.27.
IMHO Apache 2.040/44 is wildly unstable and has no end of issues with
various php applications.

>From distro watch they've got links to the download locations.  BTW - why
not have your linux box acting a nice firewall also?  the proxy servers
available are very very good.
Will shut up now, and head to work and continue this there if you've got any
further questions.

Scotty