[thelist] Tutorial - step-by-step Linux install to make server

Hugh Blair hblair at hotfootmail.com
Fri Mar 21 11:33:55 CST 2003

> > I've also got an old Compaq box sitting at home I'd like to
> > put Linux on.
> > ;-)
> >
> > I have some CDs I've burned and check-summed.
> >
> > Any ideas on how to get around the "this old box won't
> > auto-load a CD"  issue?
>
> Have you tried flashing the BIOS with an update if it's available?

My old Compaq (Prolinea 575) doesn't allow you into the BIOS unless
a special partition is still on the HD. If you still have that
partition, searching the HP/Compaq site will find you the boot-floppy
that will allow access to changes. I saw those files just the other
day, so yell if you need help finding them. I can't use them because
my HD has already been wiped, so I must boot any Linux-install from
floppy.

Hugh