[thelist] OT: outlook express file extension

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Fri Mar 21 14:35:10 CST 2003

At 10:38 AM 3/21/2003, rudy wrote:

>would it surprise you to learn that i searched on the microsoft site for
>about a half hour for any help related to outlook express and did not find
>this page

No it wouldn't. I hate the way MSDN Search works. It's basically horribly
broken and I can't believe that MS allows such a pathetic tool to be
publicly available.

>that re-register option is rather useful, isn't it

This issue is one of the broken parts of Windows itself. The MAC OS makes
each file dual headed and stores the file association in there, versus
depending upon the extension. MS failure to fix this is galling to me.

Plus the way applications fight over the extension mapping and the OS
itself does not have generic/control panel way to undo the damage is so weak.

Someone said once "Windows is just a gilded turd." I seriously think they
were being kind. I wish I could figure out why the computer user population
at large accepts this.
---
Anthony Baratta
President