[thelist] Iconography - Common Elements

Michele Foster michele at wordpro.on.ca
Sat Mar 22 07:44:14 CST 2003

Mark,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Groen" <mark at markgroen.com>

The problem with such a multicultural country is that if you are in the
west, then
> a small Canadian flag for English and a fleur-de-lis for French makes
sense, but
> that's going to be an insult to some in the east.

Oh absolutely.  This will never happen.  Political suicide.

Using plain links ala cira.ca and
> canada.gc.ca satisfies the two language requirement;

Yes, this may end up being the best/only way to go about it.  I did like the
suggestion of (En) and (Fr) buttons made to  match the style of the other
buttons being used.  I'll see what I can come up with graphically and go
from there.

and to really make your
> site accessible by anyone in Canada make it easy to translate into other
> languages by using:
> <META http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">

Sorry, I'm not following your thoughts here.  Can you please elaborate?
Specifically, what does the doctype have to do with translating into other
languages?  We have a French site already, it's not a 100% direct
translation,  but it does exist in it's own right and 80% of the entire site
exists exactly in both languages, while 20% is different, with usually the
French version missing information,  but sometimes it goes the other way
too.

Mich