[thelist] Iconography - Common Elements

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane at xtrinsic.com
Sat Mar 22 11:04:20 CST 2003

On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 09:15:25PM -0500, Michele Foster wrote:
> French (and alternatively English on the French site)

How about a plate of poutine? ;) [1]

Seriously though I'd stick with a text link that has, "English" or
"Francais."

As for character encoding you should have absolutely no problems with ISO
8859-1 provided you're careful about how the text is entered. If it's all
done by FTPing files, no problem, if you're trying to get people to type
into a textarea to edit content you may run into problems as you'll be
dealing with whatever character encoding the editor has set on their
computer (e.g. windows fr/en and mac fr/en encoding now come into play as
well and they're typically not set to an ISO standard).

Either way, I'd recommend using HTML entities for accented characters.

emma

[1] French Canadian dish: French fries, cheese curds and gravy
--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ]]