[thelist] "muddy" images

Sharon F. Malone sfmalo at 24caratdesign.com
Sat Mar 22 16:31:20 CST 2003

On Saturday, March 22, 2003 11:39 AM, Amy agonized:

> I'm having a huge dilemma.  I'm working on Windows XP home designing a website for a customer who views it on a Mac with AOL.  The images I develop look fine to me, but when viewed on her machine she says they look "muddy" (basically the background appears blotchy).
> My first question is if anyone has ever heard of this issue and what they found to resolve it. . .

Hi Amy:

I built a site for an art studio that I was particularly concerned about re the quality of the pix being viewed as best as possible. So I placed the following on the Home page:

AOL USERS: AOL caches and compresses the images for all their web content which distorts image quality. To turn off image compression: 1. Log onto AOL, go to the Task Bar and choose "My AOL." 2. Choose "Preferences Guide." 3. Click on "The Web" or "WWW", whichever you have. 4. Choose "Web Graphics." 5. Make sure "Use Compressed Graphics" is unchecked. 6. Restart AOL for changes to take effect.

Just a thought! I'm guessing that a lot of AOL users don't even know about this option. Your client might be happier too.

Best,
Sharon
Sharon F. Malone
"web design and Internet writing services"
http://www.24caratdesign.com
sfmalo at 24caratdesign.com
*No keyboard detected.*
*Press F10 to proceed.*