Subject: [thelist] "muddy" images

BreezyGraphics at aol.com BreezyGraphics at aol.com
Sun Mar 23 06:22:32 CST 2003

In a message dated 03/23/2003 7:01:47 AM Eastern Standard Time,
thelist-request at lists.evolt.org writes:

> I'm working on Windows XP home designing a website for a customer who
> views it on a Mac with AOL.  The images I develop look  fine to me, but
> when viewed on her machine she says they look "muddy" (basically the
> background appears blotchy).
> My first question is if anyone has ever heard of this issue and what they
> found to resolve it.

AOL in it's ongoing effort to control your browser recompresses your graphics
without asking you. They change them to .ART files.
There is really nothing that the webmaster can do except give the viewers the
information.
AOL users should go to Settings - Preferences - Internet Properties (WWW): -
webgraphics tab - then select the "never compress web graphics button.
A lot to go through to fix something they shouldn't do without asking you
first isn't it?!!!
Have a great day, Breezy.