[thelist] Re: philosophical or possibly somewhat OT

Kevin Cannon p+evolt at redbrick.dcu.ie
Sun Mar 23 13:36:06 CST 2003

On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 08:07:02PM -0500, Carol Stein wrote:
> No matter how wrapped up we are in changing the look or presentation or
> architecture of information, we are still talking about presenting
> information, right? HTML =/= (not equal to) programming, it's a MARK-UP
> language. So, okay, we reached the stage of using database engines and code
> to selectively present specific information from a very large mass of data,
> and we use JS or Java for fancy tricks, but how much further do we want to
> go down that road?

We don't, there's other technologies out there for RIAs.

> We all know coding by committee stinks -- or to put it positively, the best
> code is always (in my long experience) written by an individual

I'd have to disagree with this completely.
No major porgram can be completed by one person alone.

Software development is an extremely immature process and in time it will
mature and grow and you will see group porjects work better.
http://www.fastcompany.com/online/06/writestuff.html

- Kevin