[thelist] "muddy" images

Dan Boen info at theplate.net
Sun Mar 23 18:11:31 CST 2003

If I might add to Sharon's suggestion...

> AOL USERS: AOL caches and compresses the images for all their web content
> which distorts image quality. To turn off image compression: 1. Log onto AOL,
> go to the Task Bar and choose "My AOL." 2. Choose "Preferences Guide." 3.
> Click on "The Web" or "WWW", whichever you have. 4. Choose "Web Graphics." 5.
> Make sure "Use Compressed Graphics" is unchecked. 6. Restart AOL for changes
> to take effect.

A statement like that might be very useful if graphics are an important part
of the site and the client knows a lot of AOL users are gonna be the
audience.  It will also go miles in quelling the AOL-centric client's fears
- any client that I've had who's web world consists of AOL has had trouble
understanding the world outside of that environment.  Why AOL has that
option clicked ON by default is amazing in this day and age.

Carol also addresses the other question:

> As to scanning, have your client scan images at 96dpi, and keep them at
> that resolution. The exception is if your client wants her Web viewers to
> be able to PRINT downloaded images -- then you should have her scan them at
> (at least) 300dpi, and you should reduce them to about 96dpi for the
> thumbnail and screen view, but have the much larger file available as a
> download for a print-only version.

If a client is going to do the scanning I always ask for source images sized
at least 220 dpi, if not 300, reason being simply because the larger screen
image makes for more precise editing.  Then I bring them down to 72 dpi when
saving for the web (in Photoshop).

I've not seen any real reason to save to 96 dpi but I'm sure that's been a
subject of debate here before???

DB