[thelist] OT: INVASION: flood results campaign

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Mon Mar 24 03:42:00 CST 2003

First off: This is a hot issue, but please don't try to start a debate
or discussion here as thelist is meant to help web developers; join
thechat if you want to discuss
<http://lists.evolt.org/mailman/listinfo/thechat> .

Objective: turn search results for phrases concerning the US lead
invasion of Iraq into links with a reasonable point of view.

People that are for or ambivalent about the war nearly always:

1. Don't understand why ruthless dictators since Hitler have been
contained: the UN makes collective decisions on who should be taken out
of power.
2. Believe that Hussein had something to do with 9-11.

The apparent support for the war among US citizens (when the rest of
the World is clearly against it) has been generated by the manipulation
of opinions through propaganda. The United States is still a
Representative Democracy, and it's reasonable to hope that if people
get their facts straight, we can correct the path the current US
Executive Branch has put the World on.

What we web developers who are against the war can do:

Take part in a search engine result campaign where searches for phrases
such as "iraqi liberation", "hussein terrorism", "support our troops",
etc will turn up results that reflect our point of view instead of the
propaganda espoused by the Bush administration.

Example: <http://shockingelk.com/pictures/liberated_iraqis/> (warning:
pictures of dead or maimed people)

Try to link to other pages which are doing the same to maximize impact.
Also remember to include meta keywords and descriptions
<http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/html/tagpages/m/meta.htm> in your
html and use alt tags for images, as in the example.

Example use of meta description/keyword for a page which contains
images of civilian casualties:

iraq dancing, streets" />
coalition forces and dancing in the streets." />

Remember that to be effective, meta keywords must be included to the
<totle> and <body> of the document.

Contact your clients, or query your employer: ask them if you can use a
directory on their site for this. The more, the better. Always vary the
content as much as you can while still retaining the message. If the
page won't automatically be indexed, submit it to search engines or
better, link it from a page that's already indexed.

If you wish email a link to your page to <nowar at gozz.com>. This will
add your effort to the "flood results" database of links to mutually
link to, so as  to maximize search engine placement of your
contribution.

that is all. Forward message at your discretion.

PS: I'm not a unconditional pacifist, but am a vehement
anti-neoconservative and thus believe the US lead invasion if Iraq
without UN approval is one of the gravest mistakes in Mankind's
history; certainly the stupidest thing any nation has done in my
lifetime. And most likely yours too.

  ... feel free to personally congratulate or condemn me by directly
emailing <nowar at gozz.com>, but again, this list is intended to address
web development .

<tip type="good bookmark for web developers">
http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/ catalogs every html and CSS
tage/attribute, including a key on browser support and major bugs. When
I have a problem with HTML or CSS,  I can usually figure out what's
going wrong with my code by referencing this site, so if you haven't
checked it out, I's suggest you do so!
</tip>

--
-/erik/