[thelist] 3D Flash

Mark Kennedy mark at eurogamer.net
Mon Mar 24 09:46:19 CST 2003

Swift3D (Electric Rain) offers a pretty comprehensive set of basic 3D modelling
and animating tools, and will render your work to flash.  It's not great for
complicated scenes, but the 3DStudio object import facility means you can create
complicated objects eleswhere, render them in Swift and then composite them in
flash itself.  I generally use it to add a little bit 'zing' to flat flash
banners, as opposed to building entire 3d animations from scratch.

The average and single colour rendering styles and outlining options can
generate some really great cartoon style results.

One thing worth remembering is that the genius of flash is partly in it's
ability to interpolate frames. However when builiding 3d animations, you usually
have no choice other than to render each frame as a separate keyframe.  Hence
the file size can spiral out of control rapidly.

Mark