[thelist] why fixed-width fonts are bad (for a client)

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Mon Mar 24 15:12:58 CST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sarah" <poohbear at designshift.com>
Sent: Monday, March 24, 2003 3:02 PM

> Maybe I am imagining things, or thinking of something similar, but it
seems
> to me that someone recently asked thelist for links to articles explaining
> (in layperson's terms) why using fixed font sizes is bad.

In your subject you say fixed-width fonts, and here you ask about fixing the
font size.  It's a bit nit-picky, I know, but which are you asking about.
Fixed-width usually refers to using fonts like courier or lucinda console
whereas font font sizes is a much debated practice of not allowing the user
to resize their fonts using browser preferences.

Thanks.

Joshua Olson
Web Application Engineer
WAE Tech Inc.