[thelist] problem with javascript and accented glyphs

Mark Groen mark at markgroen.com
Mon Mar 24 18:55:23 CST 2003

On March 25, 2003 at 1:10, Lorenzo De Tomasi wrote:

> I have translated in Italian the alert texts of an e-mail checking
> javascript, but it displays wrong glyphs in spite of accented ones :(
> èàòìù
>
> How can I correct this error? Which encoding have I to use?
> Thank you very much.

An evolt member has a decent table for entities, if Adrain's page doesn't "look"
right get a decent browser or try refreshing IE:
http://roselli.org/adrian/articles/character_charts.asp

Most likely though you just haven't escaped your characters properly, a really
moldy golden oldie about Javascript and alert boxes etc.:
http://www.htmlgoodies.com/beyond/escapecharacter.html

UTF-8 should work fine for most browsers, for M$ Internet Explorer Italian
specific info:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie_intl/it/

You may be directed to use some other charsets by M$ such as ISO-8859 but
my experience has been that although it (iso-8859) may possibly be a richer
character set for byte code, it may not be as generic in real world usage
(ie:global) as UTF-8.

If ya gotta have it, a repository of specific info:
http://czyborra.com/charsets/iso8859.html

If you are dealing with traditional or simplified Chinese or Japanese it doesn't
seem to matter the encoding as long as your browser is up to speed, but Arabic
or Urdu etc. that reads right to left seems to be more natural and the translator
results more accurate with utf-8, but you don't care about that right?

Regards,

	Mark Groen

MG Web Services
Web Site Hosting and Development