[thelist] NS7.2 on PWS

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Tue Mar 25 21:31:25 CST 2003

Do you want to allow anonymous authentication? If so, right-click on the
folder where you website root is located and choose "Properties". Goto the
"Security" tab and make sure that the account configured for anonymous
access (by default IUSR_<computername>) has Read/Execute (RX) permissions to
the folder and files in it.

If that user account doesn't have permissions to be able to read the file,
then the webserver will tell the browser to ask you for credentials so that
it can read the file off the hard disk.

Cheers
Ken

From: "Michele Foster" <michele at wordpro.on.ca>
Subject: [thelist] NS7.2 on PWS

: Hi folks ..
:
: Having a problem with NS trying to view locally, pws/iss (win2K).
:
: The error is:
:
: HTTP 401.3 - Access denied by ACL on resource
: Internet Information Services
:
: Googling turned up this article:
: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q265030
:
: I did the first part, but I can't figure out where the second part to
point
: 5 is:
: NOTE: You also have to give the user account the Log on Locally right to
: allow Basic authentication.
:
: After checking the "basic authentication" .. NS now asks me for a
: username/password.
:
: Never had these probs with win98 .. I turned off zonealarm too just in
case
: that was what was causing the problem, reinstalled NS and rebooted.  Still
: no go. :(