[thelist] dhtml scrolling layers - relative position?

Kelly Hallman khallman at wrack.org
Thu Mar 27 14:07:43 CST 2003

On Thu, 27 Mar 2003, Kevin Cannon wrote:
> Example of an absolutely positioned one:
> http://www.dhtmlcentral.com/script/script4_demo.html
> Relative: http://www.dyn-web.com/dhtml/scroll/scroll-rel.html
>
> Why, oh why didn't the w3c allow us to use graphics instead of system
> widgets.  This would be so much easier & asscessable!

Check out http://youngpup.net/ -- he has some great DHTML scrolling code
that allows you to make graphical scrollbars that are relatively
cross-platform (as is most of his code).  Also note that his site displays
different versions for different browsers...the IE version is tricked out!

Personally, I am very turned off when I have to mouse over some link or
hold down my button on an arrow graphic to scroll a div... it seems lazy
and silly when system widgets are already available.  If you're going to
do it, do it right -- make it look and work like a scrollbar.

--
Kelly Hallman
http://wrack.org/