[thelist] DNS help

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Mon Mar 31 14:00:37 CST 2003

At 10:44 AM 3/31/2003, Kevin wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I am on a shared hosting provider and the host allows me to custom configure
>the DNS records. How can I setup the configuration so that
>subdomain.mydomain.com will
>resolve to 10.10.10.10?

First off, are you trying to map a valid IP? 10.x.x.x.x for private
networks. Also do you have a valid IP assigned by your Hosting ISP?

That being said, it all depends on the interface you are using. Since I
manually update some of my DNS records, here's an example from one of my
zone files:

subdomain           IN      A          123.123.123.123

In a control panel like Register.com, you select the "Change IP" option and
give the full domain name and assign it to an IP. With Register.com you use
the "Domain Alias" to create 'a pointer' so that the subdomain actually
resolves to another "live" domain (which can point to another domain, or an
IP).

Hope that helps.

--
Anthony Baratta