[thelist] File Comparison Tool

Sam sam at sam-i-am.com
Wed Apr 2 13:11:38 CST 2003

My favorite is Beyond Compare (win32)
http://www.scootersoftware.com

for directory comparisons (with file and directory filtering)
and file comparisons (side by side text differencing, as well as plugins
for visual image  diffing, hex/binary file diffing etc. )

It can also handle ftp and .zip transparently like any other directories
- for directory to zip comparisons for example. It has scripting support
.. and basically it rocks.

Its about $30, I've since ditched my ftp client and integrated it into
my workflow so I can diff and merge 2 open files in Homesite, for
example. And I use it as my external diff utility for CVS to diff my
working copy with the repository copy.

It also has explorer (shell) intergration, so you can right click on one
file/dir, and right click on another to lauch a Beyond Compare session
to compare the 2.

no affiliation - just a happy registered user since version 1.something.

Sam

--
sam at sam-i-am.com		#	"my shoe is off
http://sam-i-am.com		#	 my foot is cold"