[thelist] Problem with the Unix 'du' command via perl script

Tony Frasketi webmaster at spacecovers.com
Mon Jun 16 16:46:23 CDT 2003

I'm having a problem with the results of the Unix 'du' command in that I
get different results when I execute the 'du' command from the Unix
command line...

   du -sb <directory-path>

and when I execute the 'du' command from a Perl script using backtic
statement.

   my($size) = `du -sb <directory-path>`;

However the differing results only occurs on some directories and not on
others.

So far I haven't seen a difference on files, just directories.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me.

Also, I get the daily digest so, I'd appreciate a direct reply.

Thanks in advance
Tony F.