[thelist] .org TLD and remuneration (was [thelist] Word of mouth)

Dennis Reed jalun at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 16 20:39:37 CDT 2003

----- Chris Marsh wrote -----
> I was under the impression that one was not allowed to charge money from a
> .org site? Am I in error, or are these guys "breaking the law, breaking
> the law"?
According to ICANN, the use of .org for not-for-profit is just a tradition:

"What are the rules for registration of .net and .org names?
They are the same as for .com. Traditionally, however, names in .net have
been used by organizations involved in Internet infrastructure activities
and .org is frequently used by not-for-profit organizations."
http://www.icann.org/general/faq1.htm

Another example of a .org site that charge is Slashdot.org.  They've had
paid subscriptions for a while now.  Also, we all know even non-profit
organizations pass the hat around.

Dennis Reed