[thelist] surreal mac/pc website cdrom question

Ben Morrison ben.morrison at dogstardesign.co.uk
Tue Jun 17 07:33:40 CDT 2003

On 17/6/03 1:27 pm, "aardvark" <roselli at earthlink.net> wrote:

>> I've been commissioned to build a mac/pc cd-rom containing a
>> completely cross-platform site for offline viewing.
>
> HTML?
>
>> For starters I'm not 100% sure on how to author a disc for both
>> purposes (I'm sure I can find a solution) but what about the actual
>> support for flash and video objects? Googling for a solution comes up
>> with hundreds of answers for PC  - but zip for mac usage.
>
> look for info on burning hybrid CD-ROMs...

Last time I made one you had to use toast on a mac to compile the cd, as the
mac supports hybrid cd's.

As for video the mac will have quicktime installed.

Its more than likely to have flash installed - but you should be checking
for this anyway and offering an install.

>> Does anyone here have any experience in this, or have any advice on
>> how to author this to work on both? The last thing we want to do is
>> alienate any potential users - but at the same time, unless we're
>> getting 500 mac users of a production run of 5000 discs I don't think
>> it's viable spending most of my development time purely working of mac
>> support, rather than quality of the overall offering.
>
> i just wrapped up a hybrid CD-ROM that autoruns a Flash movie on both
> Mac and Windows... that's not so hard... if you're trying to autorun
> web pages off a CD-ROM, you'll need a utility to launch the browser
> (Duckware is where i got mine) on Wintel, but i can't address auto-
> running HTML on a Mac... at least not right now...

You can google for "applescript autorun mac"

benjer