[thelist] surreal mac/pc website cdrom question

Scott Harman scott at enteractiontv.com
Tue Jun 17 07:47:29 CDT 2003

Yes - unfortunately all HTML -
Was Php/Postgres on the site - so much fun and games getting that
working correctly.
Hybrid Cd-rom's aren't really the issue - it's creating valid data that
will work with both.

Relative links simply will not work correctly -
Example structure:
[cdrom]
Index.html
[cdrom][assets]banner.gif
../assets/banner.gif - works on pc - doesn't work on mac (when written
from pc)
../assets/banner.gif - works on pc (ish) - works only on ie for mac
(when written from mac)
/assets/banner.gif - works on pc - doesn't work on mac (when written
from pc)
/assets/banner.gif - doesn't work on pc - works on latest safari and ie
for mac (when written from mac)

I find that incredibly confusing -
What gives us a major problem is making video assets available in both
hfs and iso9660 partitions of the disk.

Even trying to explain this to our web designer gives me a headache -
add to that one of the core requirements (that was agreed before I had a
chance to dig my oar in!) was that the CD would autorun for all users -
given that most users will disable autorun/autostart it's going to be a
pretty silly argument.

</rant>
We've aiming to put over 100 video assets on the disc encoded for
windows media player - there simply isn't enough space if I develop the
two "sites" to run side by side off the same cd!

*tears hair out*

Thanks anyway Aardvark - will continue having a fiddle