[thelist] Language include

David Dorward evolt at david.us-lot.org
Tue Jun 17 18:28:54 CDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 03:06:38 -0700, Pall Musaev wrote:
> And am I correct on the following assumptions?
>
> 1) Because I specify the "charset" the users browser will switch to it
> automatically and display the correct characters?

It will if it can

> 2) users do not need to download anything to see my russian text

Depends. Some browsers can download support for character sets they
don't have installed already.

> 3) what is the best method to include just a few sentences of russian text,
> rather than specifying the charset for the whole document, can I do it for
> specific <p>'s?

Use a character encoding that supports all the characters you need
(such as UTF-16)

(and specify the language with the lang attribute)

--
David Dorward                                     http://david.us-lot.org/
         Redesign in progress: http://stone.thecoreworlds.net/