[thelist] Virtual directories in IIS

Koutoulas, Pete PKOUTOUL at Fayette.k12.ky.us
Wed Jun 18 07:25:59 CDT 2003

On Wednesday, June 18, 2003 7:55 AM, Jason Handby wrote:

> The other way is to tell IIS what the host header name (e.g.
> www.mysite.co.uk) for each site is. The client's browser will supply
> the name of the server they're trying to connect to in the headers of
> the HTTP request. This means you can set all your DNS entries for all
> your websites to point to one IP address for your server, leaving IIS
> to work out which request is for which site by looking at the request
> headers. To set the host header name in IIS, go to "Properties | Web
> Site", click "Advanced..." in the "Website identification" section,
> and edit the entry in the top list to add the host header name. This
> is what Apache calls "name-based virtual hosts". You should almost
> always use this; it's much nicer.

Not trying to throw a monkey wrench into this discussion, but isn't it true
that there are a few very old browsers that do not send a host header and
thus fail to distinguish virtual hosts created this way? I know it's
probably quite a tiny percentage, but if this is true (and I'm pretty sure
it is) it may be a consideration if using unique IP's is an option.

___________________________________
Pete Koutoulas, Website Manager
Fayette County Public Schools
701 E. Main Street
Lexington, KY 40502
Voice (859) 381-4138
Fax (859) 381-4763
webmaster at fcps.net
www.fcps.net

This student or staff email originated from Fayette County Public Schools in
Lexington, KY.
Please report instances of abuse or inappropriate content to
postmaster at fayette.k12.ky.us