[thelist] [CFMX] How to implement a search feature?

Chris Johnston chris at fuzzylizard.com
Thu Jun 19 11:04:43 CDT 2003

>> 2. I know in sql you can do a search using like and the wildcard
>> character. Is there a way of doing this with a list.
>>
>> i.e. select * from foo where col in ('%word1%', '%word2%', etc...)
>>
>> and have it act in the same manner as using like?
>
> Not that I know of.  You'd be better off though using full text search
> anyway.  Full text search is available in MS SQL and Sybase ASE I know
> and I think its available in MySQL and PostGres now.  Its really build
> for what you want to do.  If you tell us your DB we can probably provide
> some pointers to resources.

This sounds cool, the DB that I am using is MySQL 4 (I believe).

Am I right to assume that if I want to do the search on multiple columns
then I would have to do something like this

select * from table where col1 like '%word1%' or col2 like '%word2%'
or col2 like '%word1%' or col2 like '%word2%'

Assuming I don't use full text search?

OR would using Veritas for my search be easier?

--
Chris Johnston

chris at fuzzylizard.com
www.fuzzylizard.com