[thelist] appendChild() invalid for frame?

SBeam sbeam at syxyz.net
Thu Jun 19 15:33:07 CDT 2003

On Thursday 19 June 2003 11:12 am, Daniel Frey wrote:
> >Does anyone know a way to dynamically assign a chunk of HTML to an
> >IFRAME (can't use src or document.location because there is no such thing
> > in this case)?
>
> I remember doing something like this in the past, I wanted users to be able
> to open a page for editing (the editing all took place in an iframe) - the
> solution I came up with (although I'm certain not the world's best) was to
> have a hidden div do all the work.  I would clear out the div, and using a
> little ASP, open the file within the hidden div.  Then, I'd do a
> document.write to the iframe using the innerHTML of the div.  Again, not
> the ideal solution, but it worked very well for the situation.

Thanks! my original version actually used innerHTML but I thought it was
broken for various reasons, so I tried appendChild(), which won't work in
IE... So your post got me backtracking, fixed up the original, and here it is
for posterity's sake:

<iframe id="theFrame" width="310" height="100" ></iframe>
<script>
 function initFrame() {
   var defval = document.getElementById('foo').innerHTML;
   var iDoc = document.getElementById('theFrame').contentWindow.document;
   iDoc.body.innerHTML = defval;
 }
</script>

now I am on to bigger and uglier problems... thanks to all who replied.