[thelist] Site Copycat (Special Circumstances Involved)

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Fri Jun 20 17:27:58 CDT 2003

David Bindel <mailto:dbindel at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Hello thelisters,

Hello.

I say you beat him up. Go down to his house, knock on his door and ask him to go play. Then punch his face and tell him to never copy your designs again. And then tell him his mother dresses him funny.

No no no. Don't do that! That was only a joke!

> Should I contact his hosting company about this blatant copying of my
> work? (we are hosted by the same company)

Nahh... They probably wouldn't care. It's not the hosting company's responsibility.

> Should I threaten him with legal action? (just threats, no action - I'm
> 16 can't afford a lawyer; he's 12)

Nahh... He'll probably call your bluff.

> Should I link to my "fan sites" from my website?

Better yet make it a "People who like to copy me" links page.

> Should I deface his website? ;-)

Yes!! That would be funny! "D4v1d B1nd3l pwns j00!"

NO! Don't do that, that was just a joke.

> Should I contact his clients and tell them that their website is
> actually a copy?

I'm not sure, my first reaction is to say "yes" but after thinking about it a bit... I'm not sure. Ask your parents.

Ultimately it all depends on what sort of relationship you want to have with this person in the future. If they are a friend you'd like to keep I'd suggest you just ask them to stop doing what they are doing and leave it at that. If they continue to screw with you you should probably reassess your relationship with them. I personally think that someone who truly wants to be another persons friend will take to heart what that friend has requested of them.

Also keep in mind that he's 12 and is most likely pretty immature (I didn't think you were only 16 until you told us!!). Kids that age (imo) don't respond well to reason. Instead they respond well to a-swift-kick-in-the-pants.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Chris.