[thelist] Quick HTML question: table and column widths

Jason Handby jasonh at pavilion.co.uk
Sun Jun 22 10:41:04 CDT 2003

Hi all,

A quick question. Suppose I have a table in which all the columns have pixel
widths, but the parent table doesn't have a specified width:

Is it safe to assume that this will always render exactly as if I had
specified width="300" in my table tag? i.e. will the table width default to
the sum of the widths of the columns?

It looks OK in IE, but I'm wondering if this is standards-based behaviour or
whether it's IE-specific...

Jason