[thelist] any word on IE7?

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 24 15:25:53 CDT 2003

>It seems like it's been a really long time without even so much as a hint
>as to what's coming after IE6. Has anyone heard any rumors about it?
>Standards compliant?

There are some rumours floating around, yes.

First of all it ought never to be called IE7, it's becoming an integrated
part of a Microsoft experience (or words to that effect). Officially IE is
discontinued. Unofficially, it isn't.

Second it'll be integrated into the next Windows version now known under a
name that I forgot because will change at least twice before release date.
It is said that the Browser Formerly Known As IE will be available only on
this new OS, and cannot be downloaded separately.

There was a very odd 'transcript of a talk show' about it on the Microsoft
site but of course I lost the URL. Anyone?

As to the standards, I've heard rumours that Microsoft employees have asked
questions about the proper working of Web standards on mailing lists and in
newsgroups, a behaviour so odd that it can only be explained by the fact
they've decided to make not-IE7 standards compatible.

I feel this is wishful thinking, and besides the story is much too vague.

So the facts aren't clear yet. More news in six months. It's definitely
coming up though, or Microsoft wouldn't have talked about it at all.

ppk, freelance web developer
Interactie, copywriting, JavaScript, integration
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ppk/
Column "Keep it Simple": http://www.digital-web.com/columns/keepitsimple/
New: Forms, usability and the W3C DOM:
http://digital-web.com/features/feature_2003-05b.shtml