[thelist] Non-websafe colors vs. GIF bg's

Brothercake cake at brothercake.com
Wed Jun 25 07:55:58 CDT 2003

<ot>
Table-based layout is your choice of course, but it's pure myth to say
that some layouts are too complex or graphics-intensive to be acheived
with CSS. 'Course if you have to support rich-content for nutscrape 4
then there probably is no other way; but personally I consider it
irresponsible to provide rich content for ns4, and would devote at least
some effort to trying changing the client's mind.
</ot>

Personally, I don't bother with websafe colour palettes anymore.
Webpages will never look exactly the same to anyone.

All that really matters, IMO, is equivalency - that the colour you use
transposes to a different shade of the same colour, or a different
colour which is equivalent in luminosity.

Test in a PC and a Mac, both at 256 colours, to check that the colour
looks at least okay - erring on the side of caution where necessary, so
that, for example, a particular pale-colour comes out a suitable
alternative that the text is still legible.

When overlaying images and CSS colour, use the same machine to develop -
so something like "#ffeaea" in Photoshop will be the same (different)
colour as "#ffeaea" in CSS.

James