[thelist] ASP: File DSN vs ODBC Driver

Casey Crookston casey at thecrookstons.com
Tue Jul 1 14:44:27 CDT 2003

Hello all,

I'm hosting with a new company not worked with before (client's wish) and
I'm having trouble getting the ODBC connection to work to an access
database.  They are hosting on Win2k with IIS 5.0, and at the error is:

Provider error '80004005'
Unspecified error
/~test/includes/connection.asp, line 16

with line 16 being the call to the ODBC driver.  The support team are a
bunch of lumps with bolts for brains and the only thing they can say about
it "Huh. Weird.  I dunno what that's about."

But anywho, I dug around on Google and Microsoft and found a work around:
change the name of the ODBC driver in the ASP file, load the page (and
obviously get an error) change it back to the correct driver name, and the
problem goes away.  (If anyone can offer any further advice/comments/input
on what this is all about that would be great!!!)

So here's my real question: I would like to use a File DSN instead of an
ODBC driver so that I have full control over the db connection and don't
need to depend on undependable support, but I've never done this before.
I've done a few searches on Google but as of yet I've not found a GOOD, EASY
TO UNDERSTAND tutorial on how to create and use them.

Many thanks in advance,

Casey