[thelist] hacking defined - was: complete: hacking contest

Steve Lewis nepolon at worlddomination.net
Wed Jul 2 19:59:46 CDT 2003

Chris W. Parker wrote:

>way and I've definitely read that sort of thing before. But still how is it that everyone (except true 1337 h4x0rz such as yourself) gets it wrong?

There are a number of other resources which can explain this phenomenon
better than I could, and they should be easy to google.

 From the Jargon file entry for Cracker
Coined ca. 1985 by hackers in defense against journalistic misuse of
/hacker/ <http://www.catb.org/%7Eesr/jargon/html/H/hacker.html> (q.v.,
sense 8).

I would add that corporate bodies and their allies in the press have
stoically resisted this distinction for their own reasons (see also the
problematic definition of "free software").

Steve