[thelist] foreign languages

Administrative HQ english_offline at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 3 01:15:51 CDT 2003

Hi.

The way you have written this is correct. However, in
the example you give, you really don't need it because
you're only using characters which occur in English
anyway. If you're using foreign characters, you need
to specify.

However, you may need to specify a non-English charset
in a metatag. Most of these include English
characters, so you can go a head and write your
English text using that charset anyway.

For example, use windows-1252 which includes Western
European and English. Then just type away using
entities for foreign characters.

If you're using a language like Hebrew, use
windows-1255 and specify THE ENGLISH as English and
the Hebrew as Hebrew. You may need to use <DIR=> to
change the direction rtl or ltr...or type one of them
backwards.

Good luck.

David