[thelist] ASP: DIM var AS ??

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Thu Jul 3 04:13:58 CDT 2003

No one seems to have explained why this is happening. So I'll give it a go.
There is only two types in VBScript: the Variant, and Object. Now, we're not
dealing with an Object, so let's talk about Variants

Variants have subtypes. You can cast a variant to a particular subtype using
the C...() functions (eg CInt() etc). Usually, when you do comparisons, the
subtypes are the same -or- are implicitly casted for you by the VBScript
interpretor. Sometimes they aren't.

Good, defensive, coding means that when you getting values from
anywhere -outside- your system, you make sure you know what's in them.

<%
lngCat = Request.QueryString("Cat")
If isNumeric(lngCat) then
    intCat = CLng(lngCat)
Else
    ' Throw some kind of exception
    ' or substitute a default value
End If

' Now you know lngCat is some kind of whole number. You can compare that to
any other variable you know contains a whole number
%>

Cheers
Ken