[thelist] Search engine and index.cgi

Richard Bennett richard.bennett at skynet.be
Fri Jul 4 06:43:52 CDT 2003

Hi,
First thing is, proceed with care, because the site already has a google
pagerank of 5/10, and many sites linking to it.
If you change the navigation abruptly you'll loose more than you gain.
So whatever you do, you should make sure the current URLs will still be
supported.

It is generaly accepted that Google will spider pages with short
query-strings, with no more than 2 parameters or so.

I think the easiest would be to edit the cgi to accept other forms of
strings too. That way existing links will still work ok, and you could
change the links on the site like this:
Current:
www.afairesoimeme.com/index.cgi?action=srubrique&id=109920&rubrique=2

new:
www.afairesoimeme.com/index.cgi/srubrique/109920/2

Optimised with server-side friendly-name mapping:
www.afairesoimeme.com/index.cgi/srubrique/bougies-traditionel-decoratief-kit

Having your key-words in URLs people link to you with makes a big difference
for search-engines.
It might be nice to drop the '.cgi' in the new script, but leave the current
script too for legacy links.

And indeed, all those forms can go too.

Richard.