[thelist] Meta Tag Keyword tools and xhtml

Aredridel aredridel at nbtsc.org
Sat Jul 5 10:50:42 CDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-07-05 at 07:07, Tim Fountain wrote:
> On Friday, July 4, 2003 at 14:14, Tony wrote:
>
> > Anyone got any (lo-cost or free preferred) recommendations for
> > creating keywords based on content?
>
> I can't help with the tools themselves but is there any particular
> reason why you want to do this?  These days many of the search engine
> robots completely ignore the meta keywords tag, and those that do read
> it mostly just treat the keywords as if they were just normal words in
> your page body.  So any change in ranking you get will be negligible
> at best.
>
> See: http://searchenginewatch.com/webmasters/article.php/2167931

Agreed.  One tool (Okay, this is a plug as it was written by a friend)
that I've used with much success is metatagreport.com.  The creator of
the site has a database of a couple billion searches as performed by
users of search engines.  It's a good statistical sampling of what's
actually searched for.  Based on that, you give a few keywords that you
want your site to match in a search engine, and he produces a report
with what to do to what pages to get good rankings.  It's got some very
good reccomendations, and it's worth paying for the report at least the
first time to see how it works.

It will suggest content changes, metatags, title tags, domains to
register, all sorts of things.

Ari