[thelist] creating PDF's from Flash and controlling resulting fonts

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Mon Jul 7 00:52:55 CDT 2003

klute wrote:
> The data (e.g. anual sales report) will be put into
> XML format and pulled into Flash to create various
> visual charts. The labels' fonts of these charts will
> need to be dynamic and probably truetype. The
> resulting charts with their labels will then be saved
> into PDF documents.

I've been working on this problem for a couple years and flash to pdf
has typically been an ugly situation.  For server-side rendering of
HTML, ActivePDF seems to be a pretty decent if somewhat spendy option.
However, I've now found, much to my delight, that Flash 6 brings a great
new option to the table.  Basically, if you are using Flash 6, all you
have to do is install the full version of Adobe Acrobat on a machine,
run the page that renders the dynamic Flash app, and then print to a PDF
from the browser.  In previous versions of flash this wouldn't work
because sending a print command to the browser caused flash to reload
without the dynamic data.  Flash 6, though, will enable your browser to
print exactly what is on the page.  Then its just a matter of formatting
your page so it does page breaks and such correctly.  No good way that I
know of to do that automatically, just have to play around with it until
you get the results you want.

Judah