[thelist] [long] PHP and Apache, each in a box. Possible?

M.G. Noriega manuel at simplelogica.net
Mon Jul 7 04:56:32 CDT 2003

El jue, 03-07-2003 a las 16:18, Sam escribió:
> If the goal is to distribute some of the load, I've seen a lot of people
> on the mod_perl list discussing a setup where you have a plain apache
> box that proxies requests and responses to one or more mod_perl (or in
> your case php) configured behind it. This is accomplished with the
> ProxyPass directives and allows for a optimization of the individual boxes.
> That's about all I know about it, but maybe a direction for you? This
> way requests for static urls like images or plain html pages (or cached
> content) don't hit the php box.
>
> Sam

Sam, thanks. The goal is more about security, as my client was
comfortable with their standard php+mysql intranet setup, but when
wanting to give to one of their suppliers access to a php webapp via
internet, they'd rather setup a new public Apache and process php
requests via the existing private php install. Of course, their idea of
php was more like an appserver, as they ussually live in a Java world,
than the essentially cgi it really is. (does my english wording make any
sense?)

I've been pointed to the mod_rewrite+mod_proxy combo as a possible
solution and passed the info to my client to investigate. Maybe i'll do
some research too, because i frankly i first thought it belonged into
the 'no way you can do that' field.

Again i'm not very confident with my trying at complex english
sentences, but i want to really express my deep gratitude for all the
time you guys dedicate to help rather clueless fellows as me :)

--
Manuel González Noriega
Simplelógica, construcción web @ http://simplelogica.net